It’s every business’s goal to raise brand awareness, attract loyal customers and rake in the money! One avenue you might not have considered is using a micro-influencer. This is a very viable option and does not need to cost an arm and a leg. Micro-influencing is a very effective way of spreading your message in an authentic way to your selected audience.
Micro-influencers that get behind your brand become a referral that people will sit up and listen to. Referrals are big business and surely social media has really put this on the map. 84% of people admit that they trust referrals from family and friends and that’s good news. Word-of-mouth is a powerful form of marketing and this can be tapped into by also using influencers. Research shows the people trust influencers as much as friends and family.
So, before you jump in, let’s consider some important issues surrounding this topic.
Who is a micro-influencer
Influencers are people who have a following on social media that they reach and impact with content that is relevant and engaging. A micro-influencer is someone with a small audience, typically between 1k and 100k followers and reach a very specific audience with a specific topic. These are individuals that are looked up to and respected and are considered reliable sources of information and recommendations. Therein lies their attraction to the business owner.
3 Reasons why you should use a micro-influencer
- They are affordable – compared to macro-influencers, these people will not leave you in the red. Even if you decide to use a few micro-influencers to increase your reach, it’s still going to work out cheaper.
- They provide authenticity and trust – they are likely to be people that are personal and personally engaged with their followers. They are people the average person can relate to,
- They are more accessible – they rarely have contracts and are always open to new collaborations.
What to look for in a micro-influencer
Micro-influencer selection should be done slowly and carefully. If you are going to invest in a long-term relationship with an influencer, you need to be sure of your choice. When selecting a micro-influencer, you need to pay careful attention to these 3 points:
- Are they relevant? – they must align with your brand, its values and your intended target market
- Are they authentic? – as mentioned earlier, they must be obviously engaged with their followers and their followers with them. They must be real.
- Who are they reaching? – what kind of person are they reaching and with what kind of topics. Do these factors align with your brand’s message?
How to find the right micro-influencer
This could be your biggest challenge but don’t let that deter you from your goal. There is a micro-influencer out there for your brand so persevere and use these 3 suggestions to help you along.
- Do a hashtag search with words that are relevant to your business
- Look amongst your own followers for that special fan
- Use an influencer tool e.g. co or BuzzSumo
Working with your micro-influencer
For your brand’s relationship with a micro-influencer to bear the result that you want, one needs to consider two important aspects: the campaigns your run and your personal relationship with the micro-influencer. Here are just a few pointers to get you started:
- Each campaign with your influencer should be different
- Vary the content – use videos, offer freebies, run a competition
- Deal with the financial agreement upfront and make sure it’s clearly understood
- Nurture your relationship with your influencer. Let them try out your product or service for free. Then ask them to share their experience of your product on social media. This kind of recommendation is personal, productive and profitable!!
Working with a micro-influencer can really make things happen for you and your brand. Choose that person carefully, reward them, create magic together and you just might see your brand zoom to the next level!