By now, you may have heard of Instagram Reels, Facebook’s solution to remain competitive with popular app TikTok. Keep reading to find out what it is and how to use it!
What is Instagram Reels?
Reels is a new way to create and share fun video content from Instagram Stories. With the feature, you can record and edit 15-second videos with audio, effects, and other engaging tools.
These videos can be shared to Stories, Explore Feed, and the new Reels tab on a user’s profile.
While the algorithm hasn’t been solidified yet, it feels similiar to TikTok’s For You page. Like the usual Explore page, it’s probably influenced by your location, who you follow, and the type of content you interact with. As you’re scrolling, you may notice some Reels have a Featured label above the caption.
“If your reel is featured in Explore, you’ll receive a notification,” said Instagram in their announcement. “Featured reels are a selection of public reels chosed by Instagram to help you discover original content we hope will entertain and inspire you.”
How to create reels
Open your Instagram camera (where you normally create Stories) and select Reels at the bottom of the screen.
On the left you’ll see various creative editing tools, including:
- Audio: Find a song to use from the Instagram music library, or use your original audio. If you share a reel with your own audio, it will be attributed to you. If you have a public account, people can create reels with your audio by selecting Use Audio from your reel.
- AR Effects: Record multiple clips with different effects created by Instagram and other users all over the world.
- Align: Line up items from previous clips before recording your next to create seamless transitions for videos, like outfit changes or cooking demonstrations.
- Speed: Slow down or speed up both audio and video to create dynamic visuals.
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to create hands-free video! Set the amount of time for your countdown and hit record.
Your videos can be recorded in a series of clips, all at once, or uploaded from your phone’s gallery. Much like recording videos on Stories, press and hold the capture button at the bottom of the screen to create your first clip. You’ll see a progress indicator at the top of your screen as you record.
Once you’re happy with your recording, you can edit your clips with draw and text tools, as well as Instagram Stickers. Next, it’s time to add your caption and thumbnail!
Now it’s time to share your masterpiece!
If you’re already using Instagram to market your business, it’s totally worth giving Reels a try. Keep an eye out for our next blog, where we show you how to incorporate Reels into your marketing strategy. Until then 🙂